Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_Page::start_lvl() should be compatible with Walker::start_lvl($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 586

Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_Page::end_lvl() should be compatible with Walker::end_lvl($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 586

Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_Page::start_el() should be compatible with Walker::start_el($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 586

Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_Page::end_el() should be compatible with Walker::end_el($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 586

Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_PageDropdown::start_el() should be compatible with Walker::start_el($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 605

Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_Category::start_lvl() should be compatible with Walker::start_lvl($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 704

Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_Category::end_lvl() should be compatible with Walker::end_lvl($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 704

Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_Category::start_el() should be compatible with Walker::start_el($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 704

Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_Category::end_el() should be compatible with Walker::end_el($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 704

Strict Standards: Declaration of Walker_CategoryDropdown::start_el() should be compatible with Walker::start_el($output) in /home/ambpushpadanasch/public_html/wp-includes/classes.php on line 729
K/Ambatenna Pushpadana M.V. » History

History

Ambathenna Pushpadana Maha Vidyalaya is situated in the valley of Ambatenna in Kandy District. There are two nice legends that reveal how the word “Ambathenna” was formed.

Once King Dutugamunu was travelling this area to his successful war, he stopped a while to rest here. There it is said that he rested under a giant mango tree, therefore this place was called Ambathenna.

The other legend is formed due to geographical situation. There are three streams called Akurana Oya, Ankumbura Oya and Hapugoda oya coming from three different areas. They meet at this valley and starts a  big oya called Pinga Oya. In Sinhala terms “Amba” means water and “Thenna” means valley. Therefore this valley is called Ambathenna=Water Valley.

From about 1890 to 1925 the influence of missionary education spread through Sri Lanka. People of the country were compelled to convert to Christianity in order to get more benefits from the society, specially young men and women ware doing that to find a job. By 1935 this was clearly visible. Considering that the patron started a class for village students, with the help of the chief priest of the temple.

In 1927, at Sri Sudarmodaya Temple, Mullegama, Ambatenna a Pirivena was inaugurated for Monk Students. Along with this there functioned Ambathenna primary school.

To establish it properly on the 8th of September 1938 the sermon hall and a portion from the compound at the temple were given in a deed to the Pushpadana Association, Kandy. A teaching staff was recruited to streamline the education. At the inception the school had only 8 students. After that the number of students increased annually and now there are about 525 students.

After the independence, more educational opportunities opened up for rural people. During this period the school was added with 3 new huts.
The year 1953 was a remarkable year for the school. Because it was the year in which the school was established in “Walauwaththa” that belonged to Bothota temple. That land was offered to the school at the request of the Chief Priest and the other villages of Ambathenna. The first principal was Mr. S.O. Silva. At that time, it was called Ka/Ambathenna K.S.P.S. School.

In 1954, Grades 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,and SSC classes were started in the new building and in 1955 new developments took place. In that era there ware about 13 teachers and 556 students.

In 1961 the school was established as a government school. There ware 14 teachers including the principle as follows,

1. Mr. P.M. Wijayasinghe - Principal
2. Mr. D.M. Manaperi - Assistant Teacher
3. Mr. L.R. Premaratne - Assistant Teacher
4. Mr. A.G. Hendric - Assistant Teacher
5. Mr. H.M.M.B. Karunanayake - Assistant Teacher
6. Mr. M.M. Kiribanda - Assistant Teacher
7. Mr. L.D. Wimalasurendra - Assistant Teacher
8. Mr. A. Rankothgedera - Assistant Teacher
9. Mr. A.J.B. Silva - Assistant Teacher
10. Mr. K.G. Dharmadasa - Assistant Teacher
11. Mrs. M.M. Vidyawickrama - Assistant Teacher
12. Mrs. A.O.P. Silva - Assistant Teacher
13. Mrs. W.A. Margret - Assistant Teacher
14. Mrs. D.G. Nandawathie - Assistant Teacher

In that year (1961) the school was given electricity facilities and renovations in some buildings took place

A Playground is a must for every school. Every school which has not a playground dreams for a playground. That dream was realized by the Ambathenna Pushpadana College in 1964. In 16th November 1964 the new playground was declared open for the use of the students.

In 70’s the school had a remarkable period. Commerce stream was introduced in 1970 and agriculture was introduced to the year 6 and 7 classes. In the same year new educational reforms were introduced to the school and special programme were organized.

The library is the store of information in a school. In 1979 new building for the school library was opened as part of school development programme.
In spite of the lack physical resources, the school has a prgramme to develop academic aspects. It has a debate team.

In sports, the school has participated in District level competitions and has a net-ball team.

Through thick and thin the school has come to the present state. Now there are about 600 students. Mr. M.G. Upali is the new principal. Our duty is to give our hands for the furtherance of this school.